[Savannah-hackers] Re: Could please remove a directory in CVS for cp-too

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Could please remove a directory in CVS for cp-tools?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:45:07 +0200

 > As far as I know from using CVS from several years, the only way to
 > remove *directories* from the server, is to have actual shell-level
 > access and remove them manually (i.e. rm -rf gnu/).
 >
 > The CVS manual in the section "Removing directories", has the
 > following:
 >
 >    "The way that you remove a directory is to remove all the files in
 > it.  You don't remove the directory itself; there is no way to do
 > that."
 >
 > This was why I sent the mail to cvs-hackers in the first place,
 > because I figured that it wasn't something I could do at the client
 > end.

        True. One additional comment. After the removal (rm -fr) of the
directory you won't be able to get it back, should you want to extract
an *old* revision of your software. Say, for instance, you want to

        cvs -r version-2-0

        that rely on those deleted directories. Once they are gone, the
retrieved version-2-0 will miss these files. This is why you can't permanently
delete a directory in CVS.

        If it does not matter, I'll remove the directories for you. Just
remind me which ones ;-)

        Cheers,