Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:24:11 +0000

Hi Bradley,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 07:10:51PM -0500, Free Software Foundation wrote:
> > > Currently, on savannah, we are only permitting programs that are
> > > officially GNU software.  (We plan to add functionality this year so that
> > > any GPL-compatible software can be hosted, but that is not done yet.)
>
> Jaime E. Villate <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > This project is hosted in www.freesoftware.fsf.org, as a GPL-compatible
> > non-gnu project which awaits admission into the GNU project.
>
> Sorry---I just recently changed my text about that.  Is this an accurate
>
>         Currently, on the offical savannah site, we are only permitting
>         programs that are officially GNU software.  (We are beginning to
>         add functionality this so that any GPL-compatible software can be
>         hosted, but that is not completely done yet.)

It is a very accurate description. But my objection was not the description
itself, but the fact that it doesn't apply to this case; "jason" is a project
that has been approved as a non-gnu project. His author asked that his project
be evaluated for the GNU project, and that's why you got the message that
started this thread. I think your answer will confuse the author of jason,
because he was not asking that his project be hosted in the official
savannah site.

> My understanding was that savannah.gnu.org URLs still work for
> freesoftware.fsf.org projects.  Is that correct?

Each project hosted in subversions has a project page, and a web
home-page. For non-gnu projects, the web home-page cannot be accessed through
savannah.gnu.org; it can only be accessed through www.freesoftware.fsf.org
However, the "project page" can only be accessed through
savannah.gnu.org/projects/project_name and not through
www.freesoftware.fsf.org

> Until that is fixed, I don't want to make it too public about the
> freesoftware.fsf.org project.
I also think it should be fixed, but to make sure we agree, this is how I
think it should work for a GNU project (let's call it foo) and a non-gnu
project (let's say bar):

   homepages:
   www.gnu.org/software/foo   www.freesoftware.fsf.org/bar

   project pages:
   savannah.gnu.org/projects/foo  www.freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bar

What do you, and the other savannah hackers, think?

Jaime