Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:43:01 -0500

Jaime E. Villate <address@hidden> wrote:

>  1- even if I point the browser to freesoftware.fsf.org, the real name of the
>  server will be shown (savannah.gnu.org), because no "virtual host" has been
>  set up for freesoftware.fsf.org in Savannah. I can fix that inmediately by
>  editing apache-ssl's httpd.conf, unless somebody has any objection.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

>  2- Something such as freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bash and
>  savannah.gnu.org/projects/non_gnu will also work, which
>  should not.

It's not too bad if freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/A_REAL_GNU_PROJECT
works.

The problem is that savannah.gnu.org/projects/A_NON_GNU_PROJECT works;
this must be fixed.

> The only way I can see to fix this is by moving gnu and non-gnu to
> different directories in Savannah; this is a more delicate task, but I'm
> afraid we'll have to do it sometime.

>  3- All scripts in Savannah should be reviewed to make sure that
>  savannah.gnu.org is not written explicitly, but through a variable such as
>  "host_name" that will give different values when the server is accessed as
>  savannah or as freesoftware.

If you can do these sooner than later, that would be good, in that we can
invite projects to join more widely.  The only reasons I haven't announced
freesoftware.fsf.org that widely is:

  (0) I think we need a better name first

  (1) The possibility of public confusion about what is and is not a GNU
      project.

> > Finally, note that we want to have a public naming contest to pick a
> > better name than "freesoftware".
>
> That's a good idea, but it should be launched quickly before the number of
> projects gets too big and the public gets too used to
> freesoftware.fsf.org

Can we can always make that always work, even after the name changes?

I don't want to launch the name contest until we are sure that the
problems between savannah.gnu.org and freesoftware.fsf.org can be fixed.
They must be set up so that the distinction between non-GNU and GNU is
done via URL as well as text on the pages.  If you can tell me, "that will
definitely be fixed by DATE", then I can proceed with the naming contest.

The only reason that I have been delaying making freesoftware.fsf.org an
"official" service of the FSF is this naming issue.  Loic indicated it was
really hard to fix with the current savannah code, so we've been in a
holding pattern since then.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942