[Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?
Date: 19 Dec 2001 02:32:38 +0900

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Is somebody fucking around with subversions?  Does anyone know what's
>  > going on?
>
>       I do. I know you're running out of patience.

Don't worry about it; everyone here is a volunteer, so as long as I can
eventually get something to happen, I'm happy.

> If you feel you can fix the problem on subversions, let me know and
> I'll grant you the proper permissions.

No, I'd have no idea what to do, and would doubtless mess things up trying
to find out.  [Saying `give me root and I'll fix it myself' is usually an
empty threat, since no one is ever willing to give me root; I never
expected someone to actually call my bluff!]

> Anyway we all are victims of the same tradeoff : wait for things to
> be done or do them ourselves ;-)

Indeed...

>       Back to the real problem. I did a mistake that triggered the
> "setgid failed" error you noticed. It is now fixed and should work:

Thank you very much for working on it.
I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at work (behind the evil firewall).

>       Also note that the /cvs CVSROOT is now obsolete. It still works
> but it will remind you once a day that you should switch to /cvsroot/emacs.
> In order for this migration to be painless for you I need to know the
> following:
>
>       - do you have a Kerberos account on GNU.ORG ?

I don't know; I've tried to get one in the past, but eventually gave up
because it was too hard to get information out of anyone.

I do have ssh access, which I can use from home (where it doesn't ask for a
password), but when I try to use it from work [via the same `port 443' hack
as CVS, to fp-ssh.gnu.org], it asks for my `Kerberos password:' -- however
no answer I give seems to be right, so I'm not sure whether the question is
spurious, or whether I actually have do some sort of kerberos state.

>       - if yes, do you remember the password ?

I'm not sure; see above.

>       - if you do, can you try using gserver instead of pserver ?
>         (just s/pserver/gserver/, nothing else need to be changed)

>       Thanks for your patience, your help and your work for emacs.

Thank you for your persistence, and for being nice even though I'm
complaining...

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"