[Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS of CorbaTrace

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS of CorbaTrace
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:17:46 +0100

Gizmo Etienne writes:
 > The file xml.jar is just the parser of Sun.
 > It's the old name of JAXP, which include in JDK1.4.
 > I put xml.jar in the project because everybody don't have jdk1.4 and because
 > we are not yet complient to new JAXP.
 > The licence of xml.jar is the than the JDK (so, I think it's not a problem
 > for you, else we are not allow to use JDK if we code in Java ;) ).
 >
 > If you want, we can take of this file, and propose it on our futur web site
 > (I think it's a good solution, and it's clean CVS).
 > I send you the new source just without xml.jar

        There are three distinct issues here.

        1) Your package is not Free Software if it contains non-free software.
           Since your package currently contains xml.jar which is not Free
           Software, it is therefore not a Free Software package regardless
           of the fact that your own code is Free Software.

           You should therefore remove xml.jar from your package.

        2) Savannah does not host non Free Software, therefore you cannot
           copy xml.jar to Savannah.

        3) Savannah does not host Free Software that cannot be used in
           a Free Software environment (see the Services &
           Requirements page at
           http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php). I'm not
           sure it's the case of corbaTrace, could you clarify this
           please ? To restate my question, is it possible to use
           corbaTrace using only Free Software ? Or is it mandatory
           to install & use non-free software in order to use corbaTrace ?

        The solution you propose above (remove xml.jar from the CVS tree
and distribute it elsewhere) does solve the issues 2 and maybe the issue
1 if you don't include it in your distributions. It does not solve the more
important problem of attaching proprietary strings to your software and I
hope we will find a way to free your software from this constraint.

        Cheers,