Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS of CorbaTrace

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS of CorbaTrace
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:43:14 +0000

> But does it mean that nobody can do a free software writed in Java ?
> Should a Java software be free ?

As far as I can tell, at this point there is no free replacement for JDK
v. 1.3
People can still write free software that depends on JDK 1.3; but that
software would not be accepted in Debian and we would not host it in Savannah
either, because of the dependence on a non-free program.

For previous versions of Java there are free implementations that work
fine. There are GNU packages that use Java. If you want to keep CorbaTrace in
Savannah, please make sure that you do not need Sun's (or blackdown's) JDK to
make it work, and that it works fine with some free JVM. If the only Java you
need in CorbaTrace is through Xalan, then you are safe because Xalan does not
depend on non-free JVM's.

Regards,
Jaime