[Savannah-hackers] Re[2]: GIF files in gsweb

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re[2]: GIF files in gsweb
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:09:36 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:26:44 -0700 (MST) Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:

 >|     FSF never prohibiting the use of gif before:
 >|
 >| We have always had the policy that there should be no GIFs in GNU web
 >| pages and programs.  However, it was only recently that someone
 >| noticed there were GIFs here.  It would have been much better to fix
 >| the problem before, but nobody noticed it before.
 >|
 >|     BTW, I'm not always happy with FSF things: FSF 'ask' we don't use GIF.
 >OK but 'they' don't provide a
 >|     working alternative
 >|
 >| There are several alternatives that work for most purposes--JPG and
 >| PNG.  If something special is needed GNUstep, we will try to provide
 >| it--"we" in this case being the GNUstep developers, since they are the
 >| only people in the GNU Project who would know how to implement a new
 >| feature in GNUstep.  Adam Fedor is cc'd here; what feature do you
 >| need?

Animated pictures support: .mng doesn't seems to work on mozilla or internet
explorer.

 >| But in the mean time, please don't use GIFs.

There's no more gif on 'my' projects in savannah.

BTW, patents problems concerning Apple (our last discussions) are not 'solved'.

Manuel Guesdon

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998