Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Great Tree Organi

From: zw
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Great Tree Organizer
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:19:28 +0800

Sorry I don't feel confident to show you the current state of the code.
My plan is to write some design documents on the web first while
progressing the experiment. The proposed project is a lot more about
experiment with new ideas than about to implement something existed in
commercial world already. (My current code is just a mess.)

Source Code in Database is a wonderful idea I read from the web (URL not
handy but Google search for the phrase should reveal) the similiar idea
I've read from C.A.R. Hoare's article too. I heard about that IBM's Java
environment has this, but I personally have no chance to see it. And I
think with LISP/Scheme this idea would turn out to be more radical than
a implementation with Java because of LISP's meta programming ability.

The other idea is that I want to enable programming directly in a
console like environment, no editor involved. I personally want to work
in such a environment. By programming right off the interpreter prompt,
programmers are tempted to do debugging after each line of code entered,
this may provide some different experience. This is not a mere UI
problem to tackle, but requires sophisticated lexical scope management.

Admittedly I'm not a great coder, my desire to work in such an
environment drives me to go ahead. That is understandable if you cannot
host my project. But if you do I'll be very happy. Risk you'll take be
that this may turn out to be another SourceForge forgetted project.
(Since China banned SF, I have no choice.) But I think this as that
there are difficult jobs and easy jobs, there are great coders and mean
coders, and most of the time mean coders meet the difficult jobs because
they're both popular. I mean, I don't have much choice seeking fun. easy
jobs are seldomly fun. Of course you have choice though.

I just hope.

Thanks anyway,
zw