Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Great Tree Organi

From: zw
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Great Tree Organizer
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:50:05 +0800

> Please don't be ashamed :-) Anyway, we're only going to help you
> fix the possible licensing issues so that you can forget about it.

My issue is that with LISP environment, when shipping software written
in it, you have to ship a run-time with your software. Or even sometime,
you may want to compile a static application. So I think GPL is not a
perfect match for this maybe. I think LGPL will do okay. But I'm not so
sure. Run-time may need a different license.

With Source Code In Database, there is some other considerations too. I
mean, you don't get a plain edittable text file easily, and even if you
do, you don't get all of the power you get from under the proper
environment. Systematically rewritting is possible. But this should not
be a big deal if the environment itself is available under a Free
Software License.

Programming in the Console brings another consideration, for example,
people usually don't think .bash_history a normal form of program at
all. To some this is not independant source code but a derived work
maybe. Again, we may put the environment itself under GPL (LGPL) and add
a paragraph or two to clear the doubts.

Please tell me your ideas,
zw