[Savannah-hackers] [ 100914 ] A way to hide your email address?

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 100914 ] A way to hide your email address?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:54:30 -0400

Support Request #100914, was updated on 2002-May-15 00:55
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=100914&group_id=11

Category: Web

By: nospam
Date: 2002-May-15 02:54

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=7365
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.4.1) Gecko/20020314
Netscape6/6.2.2

To sum up:

1) Spam

Potentially it might make a user getting more spam, that his
email is shown.

2) Privacy

The issue is not that I don't wanna get contact ed, but that
some people consider their email as "private information".

E.g. some wanna hang on to the bit of (seemingly) anonymity
the net gives you.  Actually I think I know a guy that would
not sign up here, even if he wanted to, if he knew he had to
give away his eamil.
I don't mind that I can be contacted, but I would prefer
that the email wasn't shown.  Then if someone contacted me,
I could either choose to give my email, or use the webinterface.

In fact, I'd like to be able to recieve emails from chosen
discussions/bugs/Support requests etc.

I dunno much about the savannah internals, how you do users
etc. and setting up a mailserver, with an (updated from the
web /etc/mail/aliases file or smt.) might be too much
trouble for this problem.  But the one with the
web-interface, seems to be solved allready. (With the
sendmessage.php thingy).

Maybe my friend and I are just more concerned about privacy,
than most users, I dunno.  We are all different, with
different wishes.

Sincerely,
A (more or less) anonymous user.

By: nospam