Re: [Savannah-hackers] groupedit.php modifications

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] groupedit.php modifications
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 01:37:13 +0200

Le mar 28 mai 2002 à 16h38, Jaime E . Villate a écrit :
Hi Mathieu,

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:33:35AM +0200, mathieu wrote:
> I've modified this file to permit us to do faster the registration
> approval stuff.
>
> Now, in fact, only the Status, Public and GNU Package (or not) need
> really to be edited, when approving a project.

Nice, but there are still some errors:

> The html_cvs is defined with the system name and there's an option
> *auto* that set the html_cvs according to the choice you have made
> about GNU Package (or not).

The problem is that /non-gnu/ and /software/ are not the only two
choices for
html_cvs.  For website projects, html_cvs could be anything and that's
why it is important to keep a text field where you can write the name
of the
directory.

The "auto" option could be separated from the text field we had
previously, in
such a way that if one chooses the "auto" option, the nane of the
directory in
that text field would be ignored. But if one did not choose auto, the
value in
the text field would be used.

ok, we'll make this modification

> Also, there's apparently no need to "change the home page link for
> www.freesoftware.fsf.org/project instead of the default
> www.gnu.org/software/project".
> The only use of this link is, apparently, on the project_home page.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^
It is used somewhere else: for example take a look at:
   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/engineer
Next to the "Home" icon you see the correct homepage:
   http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/engineer
But in the horizontal menu on top of the page "Homepage" shows a wrong
value:
   http://www.gnu.org/software/engineer

I think more clever to update the Homepage link and make sure that every links to the homepage works in the same way than modifying each project homepage link for each project.

This modification could be made easily, I'll take a look at this tomorrow.

In any case, I think it is better to keep the correct value in the
Database
and instead of trying to guess the homepage, use what the DB says

I'm not agree. It means spending time but it doesnt really give us something better. The database homepage link is interesting only if this is not a standard url. If it is not, so, the project admin will update this link. If it is a standard url (gnu.org fsf.org), I dont see any reason to spend time to give more informations than the ones that can be easily guessed.

. As
it is
right now, if we used a database dump to reconstruct Savannah's
directories, we would get wrong information for the projects that were
approved since the 23.

If thinks that it is an unclever using of database to use it to store informations than can be guessed.

think we can simplify the registration process (not having to go to
the
project's admin page and change the homepage) and still keep the right
information into the Database.

I'll work on this part and I will leave to Mathieu the task of
changing
"auto" to allow for Website only projects which can have any value in
cvs_html, since he's more familiar with the changes he did.

I will make it so.

--
mathieu
* http://meuh.coleumes.org Le Réseau Voltaire, cancrelats animés par le lucre ou idiots sans scrupules ? *