[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Music Server

From: piman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Music Server
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:27:06 -0400

Joe Wreschnig <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: I explained the licensing situation earlier; everything will be
either under the GPL or a GPL + something else disjunctive license.
Package: Music Server
System name: ms

Our project, MS (Music Server), rethinks the standard interface for playing
audio files from the ground up. There is an old outline of the project
available at
http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=piman&itemid=272518#ms which is
slightly out of date, but describes in detail the goals of the project and the
reasons for its existence. Basically, our goal is to overcome the limits in
existing media players by decoupling the user interface from the actual playing
and playlist management, and create a tree-based playlist rather than a simple
linear one.

It is written in Ruby rather than C (as the outline talks about), but there
will probably be Ruby, C, and Perl clients and libraries for communicating with
the server. The license for any code will be the Ruby license (disjunct
GPL/clarified Artistic) for Ruby code, the Perl license (disjunct GPL/original
Artistic) for Perl code, and plain GPL for C code.

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it (approximately 1100 lines of code
written already, which is most of the server). It will probably be checked into
the CVS server within a week of this project\'s approval, if you choose to do
so.

Other Software Required:
The Ruby 1.6 (or later) interpreter, and ogg123. Currently the MP3 playing
module does not work with mpg321 (a free clone of mpg123) because of a bug in
mpg321, and so that module depends on mpg123. Because mpg123 is non-free, we
will not host that code on Savannah until the mpg321 bug is fixed. In the
future it will probably depend on mikmod or libmikmod, as well as other (free)
audio libraries.