Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DotGNU-libxml#

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DotGNU-libxml#
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 11:19:48 +0200

Gopal V writes:
 > If memory serves me right, Loic Dachary wrote:
 > >    The license notices in the file promise a copy of the GNU GPL
 > > in the distribution. But you forgot to include it
 > > (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
 >
 > That was an unofficial release for people to take a peek ....
 > I will commit the files into CVS only after fully completing
 > the licensing issues involved .....

        I understand. Can you do it now ? That's just a matter
of copying the file + regenerating the tarbal and it will be done
once for all.

 > Btw, I would like to license it as GPL+Linking Exception ...
 > rather that LGPL ... anyway to do it ?. (It stays GPL for now)

        If you do that you will open the way for people to make your
software dependent on non-free software. It will indeed lower the Free
Software independance of your project. Major proprietary vendors are
pushing for these kind of exceptions because they know as a fact that
it will make it easier for them to drown the Free Software movement.
For this reason it is important to have GPL projects without exceptions
so that proprietary vendors cannot undermine our efforts.

 > >    Could you please submit your project again when it's fixed ?
 >
 > Yes , after I fix up the design and all that .... :)

        Design & code may not be complete, that's not too much of
an issue. Once the licensing information is correct, the Free Software
status of the project is guaranteed and you can work on it without
worries.

 > Sure , just libxmlsharp would do for me ..... (since DotGNU is part
 > of GNU and my work is not .....)

        Not *yet* part of the GNU project ;-) I suggest you apply for
inclusion in the DotGNU project asap since it can take some time to
complete.

        Cheers,