Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DotGNU-libxml#

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DotGNU-libxml#
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:47:17 +0530

If memory serves me right, Loic Dachary wrote:

>       I understand. Can you do it now ? That's just a matter
> of copying the file + regenerating the tarbal and it will be done
> once for all.

Will do .... at once .

>  > Btw, I would like to license it as GPL+Linking Exception ...
>  > rather that LGPL ... anyway to do it ?. (It stays GPL for now)
>
>       If you do that you will open the way for people to make your
> software dependent on non-free software. It will indeed lower the Free
> Software independance of your project. Major proprietary vendors are
> pushing for these kind of exceptions because they know as a fact that
> it will make it easier for them to drown the Free Software movement.
> For this reason it is important to have GPL projects without exceptions
> so that proprietary vendors cannot undermine our efforts.

The library I depend on is already available via X11 license , and this
is just a wrapper . So I guess LGPL would have done well . But rhys was
of the suggestion that GPL+Linking Exception will enable it to be included
into Portable.Net libs....

(just avoiding a license switch in the future)

>       Design & code may not be complete, that's not too much of
> an issue. Once the licensing information is correct, the Free Software
> status of the project is guaranteed and you can work on it without
> worries.

Ok !

>  > Sure , just libxmlsharp would do for me ..... (since DotGNU is part
>  > of GNU and my work is not .....)
>
>       Not *yet* part of the GNU project ;-) I suggest you apply for
> inclusion in the DotGNU project asap since it can take some time to
> complete.

Yes, that is the idea ... but I want to make sure it's working (basics)
before submission to DotGNU SC.

Thanks for your time,

Gopal