Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of CCMS

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of CCMS
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:12:38 +0200

mose writes:
 > On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:37:04AM +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
 > >
 > >    Hi,
 > >
 > >    You chose the "GPL v2 or later" option but the license notices
 > > in the distribution say:
 >
 > - ah. that point is a problem for me.
 > I feel intellectually uncomfortable to agree with something that
 > I didn't read. Please can you send me the GPL version 'later' ?
 > I read carefully GPL v2 and it fits to my goals, it's a good contract
 > to protect my production and its life beyond me. But I can't accept to
 > sign a white sheet.

        This is not a white sheet. The GNU GPL itself limits the
changes of future versions to details and not spirit. In addition,
unacceptable changes in details (Free Software wise) would mean that
the FSF has to be taken over. However, I do understand that you're reluctant
to take a risk, no matter how low it may seem.

        This is a question of balance. Is it worth taking this low
risk in order to avoid the problems generated by not adding the "GPL
version 2 or later" ?

        I'd be happy to discuss the problems covered by "GPL version 2
or later" if you want.

        Cheers,