Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of DistWork - savannah.gnu.org

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of DistWork - savannah.gnu.org
Date: 11 Nov 2002 21:30:25 +0100

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A approved your project.  For now I made it non-gnu.  As soon as you
> have some code to show you are welcome to let your project be revised
> so it can be come a part of the GNU project.

Thanks for approving my project!

I just checked in the sources into CVS, so I have "some code to show"
now. However, I'm sure I'm not yet (very) compliant with the GNU
coding standards and it will still take some time until distwork is
ready for the first release. I don't know how mature and
coding-standards-compliant a program must be to a apply for becoming
GNU, and don't really know the application process. It would be nice
if you could give me some hints here. Next follows a description of
the functionality distwork already implements, as it is in CVS ATM.

Right now the most basic functionality is in place: The libdstw
library can be loaded by serveez and the distwork server/node (serveez
server name 'dstw') can be configured with a few basic options, such
as the initial peers it should try to connect to. If you start a few
nodes with the right config (i.e. knowing each other), they will (or
should, but it seems to work ;-)) connect to each other and form
connections even if they didn't know each other initially, behaving
already with some basic intelligence, such as not connecting to each
other twice and trying to minimice the hop-span (the distance between
the two hosts farthest apart) of the P2P network. Next, I will write a
client library, and a client for distributing compilations (C and C++
for the moment) while in parallel implementing the required server
functionality.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |