[Savannah-hackers] Re: %2F in arg to viewcvs doesn't work

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: %2F in arg to viewcvs doesn't work
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:53:32 -0500

> > http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD
> >
> > gives me the head revision of the emacs/lisp/ChangeLog file, but
> >
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp%2FChangeLog?rev=HEAD
> >
> > gives me:
> >
> > The requested URL /cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog was not found
> > on this server.
>
> And that's correct, there's no url with %2F.

Why not ?  %2F is the encoding of / so it should work just as well.
If the %-expansion isn't done, then how do you access files with non-ASCII
chars (or LF or ...) in their names ?

> > I noticed this while trying to setup a bookmark in my browser with
> > the following URL:
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/%s?rev=HEAD
>
> This links does not work too, and I do not know how you get it too.

Mozilla and derived browsers expand the %s with any argument passed
to a shortname bookmark.  I.e. if a you create a bookmark with the above
url and give it a shortname of `emacscvs' then typing

        emacscvs foo

in the location box of you Mozilla/Phoenix/Galeon/... you'll go to

        http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/foo?rev=HEAD

I have such "smart bookmarks" setup for google search, merriam-webster,
you name it...  It's very handy.

        Stefan