[Savannah-hackers] Re: %2F in arg to viewcvs doesn't work

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: %2F in arg to viewcvs doesn't work
Date: 15 Nov 2002 21:07:56 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden> said:

> > > Why not ?  %2F is the encoding of / so it should work just as well.
> >
> > Well, try http://www.caliban.org/bash/ and
> > http://www.caliban.org%2Fbash/ and tell me if it works as as well.
>
> Are you saying that the %-expansion in URLs is supposed to take place after
> splitting the URL path into path-elements such that d/a%2Fb is not the
> file b in directory d/a but is file "a/b" in directory d ?
> What is the purpose of such a distinction in the case of viewcvs
> where the clearly cannot be a file with name "a/b" ?
>
> > > I have such "smart bookmarks" setup for google search, merriam-webster,
> > > you name it...  It's very handy.
> > Ok, I get it.
> > The problem is probably your %2F.
>
> How would I determine whether it's a problem with my browser expanding
> / into %2F or whether it's a problem with viewcvs not substituting
> %2f with / ?

Despite the fact that %2F means /, with apache (do not know with the
others), %2F is not interpreted like /

For instance, on my local server:
http://loge/moa/ shows the page it should
http://loge/moa%2F shows a 404 error saying
        Not Found
        The requested URL /moa/ was not found on this server.

        Apache/1.3.23 Server at loge Port 80

But /moa/ is the url shown in the first instance, that actually work.

I can explain that, I'm not an expert on the subject.

All I can tell is that you shouldnt give pointers with %2F and not
store bookmarks with %2F.

The problem seems not particularly viewcvs related.

If your browser behave in this way, replacing / by %2F, ask it's
author to correct it.

Your first message was :

"http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD

gives me the head revision of the emacs/lisp/ChangeLog file, but

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp%2FChangeLog?rev=HEAD

gives me:
[...]"

This bevahior is perfectly normal.

if you get the page http://loge/moa/  and your browser save as
bookmark http://loge%2Fmoa/ it's a problem.

Also, I do not understand why only the last slash has been replaced by
%2F.