[Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for advice!

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for advice!
Date: 17 Nov 2002 19:00:42 +0100

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 11:55:23AM +0200, Athanassiou Thasos - atmk wrote:
> > I am about to launch a project regarding the idea of *free curriculum*
> > and *free textbooks* for Mathematics in Cyprus secondary education that
> > will consist of analytical modularized components + quality textbooks
> > containing related theory, examples, figures, exercises, etc. I'm
> > considering using *TeX/LateX* for text/math and *Metapost* for
> > diagrams/graphs/figures.
>
> Can we now accept such projects?  If so I think we should make a new
> group: education or perhaps free-education?

No, we do not accept such projects. Case per case, we can ask to
Richard if he think that's ok to host a particular project that does
not fit with what we generally accept.

We also host FSF coordination project, that does not really fit in our
categories.

Normally, Savannah is a hosting facility for software development. But
for the FSF, it can be used for others purposes.

In this case, the author of the project asked the FSF to host the
project, and Richard agreed.

So we shouldnt not create a new group, since it would lead people to
think that this case is not special.

> On the other hand I would like to point out the following.  Such
> projects will use a lot of disk space if every course put's Postscript
> files online...  Also with e.g. eps files...
>
> What do you think?

I agree. That's why we host thoses projects only case per case.