[Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:34:51 +0000

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:04:34PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> a tapoté :
> > That's our advice; but of course you have the last call since your the
> > project
> > administrator. If you really want us to delete it, let us know and we will
> > do
> > it for you (you cannot do it by yourself).
>
> I personally disagree with this approach. Since a software is free, I
> can, personally, redistribute it to people that find it
> interesting. And so, savannah account shouldnt be remove in that way,
> only the author should be remove from the project members list.
>
> If the account is closed because the project is hosted somewhere else,
> no problem, that's fine. But if it's closed definitively, it can be a
> loss for the free software community and we should avoid it.

One of the things we've complaint about Sourceforge is precisely the fact that
they do not let you remove a project. And it was my understanding that in
Savannah we wanted users to be in control of their projects (of course, if the
project becomes a community project with more than one developer that's a
different case).

We cannot oppose someone's choice to remove his/her project. If we do, it
will happen what a lot of us have done in Sourceforge: rather thatn asking for
removal of our porjects we completely deleted the CVS repository and
description for our projects, being left with an empty project.

Cheers,
Jaime