[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 co

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converte - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 09 Jan 2003 19:45:04 +0100

Note:

> >Package: gedify: GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converter
>
> (ie, to help clarify that gedify is the name, and the
> rest is the description. Actually the submission form didn't
> tell me whether the package name should be part of the
> package description or not. If not, then just remove the
> gedify from the front of the package description line.)

so you should have
system name : gedify
name : Gedify : GEDCOM 6 XML...

> They can be generated by lifelines.
>   http://sf.net/projects/lifelines
> [Or I summarize here:] It is a genealogy program that grew up
> on UNIX 10 years ago, and is now open source (X license).
> I am, de facto, the primary developer on it now.
>
> There are a couple other open source genealogy programs,
> which can probably generate GEDCOM files, eg, gramps (python
> based), which can be found on sourceforge.net.

Ok, fine.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
We are careful about ethical issues and insist on
producing software that is not dependent on proprietary
software.

While Open Source as defined by it's founders means
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.
For more information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> >We would like to look at your source code, even if it is still
> >not functional, to help you fix potential legal issues which
> >would be harder to find and to solve after the project gets
> >approved. For example, in order to release your project under
> >the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
> >permission statements at the beginning of every source code
> >file, as advise in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
>
> In lifelines, there is a copy of the X license at the top of
> every source file. It is a major nuisance to developers,
> and I've stripped out almost all linefeeds to reduce the
> nuisance (so much time wasted pushing page down all the time).
>
> It just occurred to me this morning that I'm probably not
> even willing to put the GPL at the top of every source file
> (it is terribly long). I notice that gettext does not so; it
> merely has a statement that the file is under GPL, not a copy
> of the license. If I put in the same lines as gettext uses,
> and stripped out intraparagraph linefeeds, would that be
> sufficient ?

Hum, as explained in the links and at the end of the GPL license, you
just have to add something like

# (c) 2002, Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
# core.sh: this file is part of package_db_view
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
#
#  $Id: core.sh,v 1.50 2003/01/06 18:33:17 yeupou Exp $

and a full text copy of the license in the top-directory of your
project.

> >I'm not sure to understand your point.
> >
> >Your email is @hotmail.com. Can't you create one more box for this
> >purpose?
> >Or maybe you could try yahoo services that features an anti-spam tool,
> >as far I know.
>
> Those are email addresses. It is easy to create an email
> address. I was speaking of snail address (a paper mail address).
> The FAQ said I should include a paper mail address, but I don't
> have a P.O. Box, for example.

Ok, now I know what means "snail mail".

Don't you have temporary address that you can put? I don't think
people will try to send you junk mail by looking on a software
tarball.