[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 27 Mar 2003 21:58:29 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Chris Green <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Snort Intrusion Detection System
> System name: snort
> Type: non-GNU

> Snort is an open source

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
We are careful about ethical issues and insist on
producing software that is not dependent on proprietary
software.

While Open Source as defined by it's founders means
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.
For more information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Note also that "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing occurences of Linux as OS
to GNU/Linux (website, documentation...)?

You can get more information at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

[...]

> Other Software Required:
> libpcap is the only real dependency, everything else is optional.
>
> Other Comments:
> What we\'d love to be able to do is have savannah be a CVS mirror of
> our future internal server so that we can implement a patch policy.

It unclear to me if you want to use Savannah fully (including
mailing-list, bug tracker, support manager) or if you're only looking
for a CVS mirror. Can you give details?