[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System -

From: Chris Green
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:33:49 -0500

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>

> Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement,
> not projects of the Open Source movement.  We are careful about
> ethical issues and insist on producing software that is not
> dependent on proprietary software.

OK, we can change the description to be Snort is a Free...

> While Open Source as defined by it's founders means Free Software,
> it's frequently misunderstood.  For more information, read
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
>
> Note also that "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
> that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
> the ideals of the Free Software movement.
>
> Would you mind changing occurences of Linux as OS to GNU/Linux
> (website, documentation...)?

Sorry, that's not probably not feasible. I'll discuss that with the
rest of the project.

> You can get more information at
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>

> [...]
>

>> Other Software Required:
>> libpcap is the only real dependency, everything else is optional.
>>
>> Other Comments:
>> What we\'d love to be able to do is have savannah be a CVS mirror of
>> our future internal server so that we can implement a patch policy.
>
> It unclear to me if you want to use Savannah fully (including
> mailing-list, bug tracker, support manager) or if you're only
> looking for a CVS mirror. Can you give details?

We would like to use the mailing list (3 lists of about 2000 people
each), mailing list archives, and CVS mirror for free snort rulesets,
free snort documentation, and of course free snort source code.

After having used Sourceforge's bug tracker and support forums, they
don't appeal to us or meet our patch approval process needs.

We are planning in the short term to have our own public bugzilla for
the project to manage a patch approval process and have a single point
of commit managed internally to the project and then allow it to be
pushed to a mirror CVS server.
--
Chris Green <address@hidden>
A good pun is its own reword.