[Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: Software under GPL v2 only o

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: Software under GPL v2 only on fsf site]
Date: 29 Apr 2003 13:13:01 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

> I think he is right--could you please clarify the license requirements
> for hosting a package?

A priori, people cannot select "GPL v2" but "GPL v2 and later" during
registration, and they are told that licenses not available for
selection (a select box in the form) may not be accepted and they have
to explain their licensing choice.

After a year of project registration management, I found that every
time someone wanted "GPL v2 only", he selected "Other" as license
(instead of "GPL v2 and later") and explained his reasons.

And finally, people always agreed for "GPL v2 and later".

The most common issue is in fact people that have nothing at all
against "GPL v2 and later" but have "GPL v2" in their package because
they didn't think about it previously. This issue is harmless - fixed
before approval.

So registration informations, provided during registration, seems
clear enough to me.

But I ignore the origin of the debate: which "software that is hosted on
Savannah" it is about? Is there a program in GPL v2 only on Savannah
we do not know about?
Where does this person find these informations?

It would be helpful to know that, to add more information in the
appropriate place (FAQ entry, info provided during registration?)

Regards,