Re: [Savannah-hackers] Project description

From: ivano . primi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Project description
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:08:38 +0200

The name of my project is Scicalc.
Scicalc is a free and powerful scientific calculator, written
in C language (ANSI C): it natively
works with complex numbers, it has a large number of built-in
functions and operators and it offers some unusual advanced features.
Scicalc is a console application, it does not have a GUI at the moment.
The software that Scicalc resembles more is GNU bc; but this
similarity exists only in the look, not in the working mechanism:
GNU bc provides a sort of programming language, Scicalc does not;
in fact, Scicalc aims to be a replacement of the spreadsheets
for people who do not like spreadsheets.
A very interesting feature of Scicalc consists in the possibility
to use the precision offered by the "long doubles" in place of the standard
"double" precision: Scicalc comes with a patch working
around an annoying bug which i have found in the implementation of the strtold()
function by the GNU C library.
Scicalc is light, does not eat a lot of resources. It comes
with a very complete documentation, available in Postscript (LaTeX),
plain ASCII-text and Html. There is also a simple manpage.
The source code of the first public release of Scicalc is available
at

  www.mat.uniroma1.it/~primi

or at

  ftp.mat.uniroma1.it/public/primi   .

The file containing the source is named scicalc-1.0.0.src.tar.gz .
In these same locations it is possible to find the source code
of the Yvy library (yvy-2.0.1.src.tar.gz), a GPL' ed library
written by myself and which is necessary to build Scicalc.

****

Scicalc is based on the Yvy library, a GPL' ed library written by
myself. The source code of the Yvy library is available at the address

   www.mat.uniroma1.it/~primi

or at

   ftp.mat.uniroma1.it/public/primi   .

The name of the source archive is yvy-2.0.1.src.tar.gz.

Scicalc may be compiled to do computations in arbitrary arithmetic
precision. Unfortunately, to do so Scicalc must be linked against
the MAPM library (version >= 4.8). This is an "almost free" library:
it is distributed under a modified BSD license, which requires
that modifications to the source code are distributed as patches.
To have more information about MAPM see the MAPM home page:

www.tc.umn.edu/~ringx004/mapm-main.html

Best regards
                                                     Ivano Primi