Re: [Savannah-hackers] Scicalc

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Scicalc
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:37:13 +0200

On 2004.07.26 23:32 Sylvain Beucler wrote:
address@hidden wrote:
Scicalc may be compiled to do computations in arbitrary arithmetic
precision. Unfortunately, to do so Scicalc must be linked against
the MAPM library (version >= 4.8). This is an "almost free" library:
it is distributed under a modified BSD license, which requires
that modifications to the source code are distributed as patches.
To have more information about MAPM see the MAPM home page:

www.tc.umn.edu/~ringx004/mapm-main.html

MAPM seems to be non-free.

This leads to troubles I'll detail as soon as I get confirmation from address@hidden

Dave Turner told me that MAPM meets the Free Software Definition requirement, but is not compatible with the GNU GPL, which means we accept MAPM as a dependency, but that your GPL'd project cannot use it.

I see three ways to fix this:
- you could use the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (www.gnu.org/software/gmp), which is licensed under the GNU LGPL; - you could ask the MAPM author to release his/her library under a GPL-compatible license (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses); - if you are the copyright holder of your whole project (which means you received no contribution, or that contributors officially gave you their copyright), then you could add a notice such as "This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption that compiling, linking, and/or using MAPM is allowed." I am not 100% sure this is the perfect notice, so if you choose this method, please tell me and I'll ask for confirmation.

--
Sylvain