Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:04:24 +0100

Hello David,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:32:55PM -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> > > Most of my "permission-to-copy" statements are simply
> > > a reference to the license, like this:
> > >    (C) Copyright 2000 David A. Wheeler
> > >    Covered by the GNU GPL, version 2.
> > > I take it you want the longish text from the GPL
> > > in every file?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Oy.  I presume there's some legal reason for that, right?

No.  Legally, you are not required to do this.  But we do require
that projects we host follow this convention.

> (I'm not a lawyer).  What's the rationale?

Doing so benefits anyone who who recieves your source code, in
that they know straight away from looking at the source that:

For example, if someone sends a friend a source file from SLOCCount,
but from  looking at said source file, all they know is that it is
"Covered by the GNU GPL, version 2".  By adding permission to copy
statements, the user immediately knows that:

  1) The software is Free; and
  2) There are no warranties; and
  3) Should they need a copy of the license, they will know where
     to get it.

> > You wrote that during registration, not me. :)
>
> Ooops.  I sent in the request so long ago I'd forgotten.
>
> > BTW, thank you for flawfinder!  It has helped me in many ways over the
> > last year, for which I am truly greatful! :)
>
> You're really welcome! I'm delighted!
>
> In fact, can I quote you on that? I should add some more testimonials
> to the flawfinder website.

Please do! :)

--
Elfyn McBratney

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4