Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.

Great.

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 01:05:29AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> > A package was submitted to savannah.nongnu.org
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >

> > David A. Wheeler <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License:
> > Package: SLOCCount
> > System name: sloccount
> > Type: non-GNU

> > SLOCCount is a set of tools for
> > counting physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)
> > in a large number of languages
> > of a potentially large set of programs.
> > This suite of tools was used in my papers
> > "More than a Gigabuck: Estimating GNU/Linux's Size"
> > (http://www.dwheeler.com/sloc)
> > Download at:
> > http://www.dwheeler.com/sloccount/sloccount-2.24.tar.gz
>
> In order to release your project properly and unambiguously
> under the GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy
> statements at the beginning of every file of source code.

I thought I had, but I'll take a look.
Most of my "permission-to-copy" statements are simply
a reference to the license, like this:
   (C) Copyright 2000 David A. Wheeler
   Covered by the GNU GPL, version 2.
I take it you want the longish text from the GPL
in every file?

> In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
> text version of the GPL, available from
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Already there.

> If you can get the above fixed, and point us to a tarball containing
> the fixes, we can approve your project.

Great!  I'm just trying to understand what you want.

> > Other Software Required:
> > Perl, lex/flex.
> > Frankly, I'd claim those are normally found a Free Software OS..!

True. But I wasn't sure what you wanted, so I figured
it'd be safer to mention everything I could think of offhand,
in case it was important to you.

--- David A. Wheeler <address@hidden>