Re: [Savannah-hackers] arabic project should be GNU web-only

From: Alex Muntada
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] arabic project should be GNU web-only
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:24:11 +0100

* Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>:
  [2005-01-05 09:30:14 +0100]

> So far, we had very few web-only projects, so there were no
> issue (except, now that I check, maybe the /gugve group, that
> should be located at nongnu.org instead of gnu.org IMHO).

I agree, it should be moved to nongnu.

> The official meaning of GNU-webonly projects is to provide only
> a way to update www.gnu.org/something, eg webpages of GNU
> projects whose development is not done at Savannah, or the GPL
> quiz webpages, among others.

Ok, I didn't know that.

> when I create a project for a translation team, whatever its
> project type, I don't know where to store them.  [...] The
> problem is to know where to store their personnal web pages.

Well, I've just discussed that with RMS this week and we've
concluded that translation teams' homepages will go into:

  /server/standards/translations/

(reference: <http://rt.gnu.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=218506>)

But, this decision doesn't mean that the savannah projects CVS
should be tied to that location. Most of the translation leaders
have access to www.gnu.org through the www projects, so there's
no need for extra CVS on those projects. Is that possible to
setup on savannah? ie. having no CVS access at all for a project?

Anyway, this is something we have to discuss with the team
leaders. If they feel they need CVS access for their own teams'
pages we could always tie them to

  /server/standards/translations/projectname

> Currently, they are scattered in /software/teamname and
> /teamname, AFAIR.

Could you give me a complete list of CVS maps for web-only
projects?

I'll draw a discussion plan and it would be nice to have all the
different cases on the table. If you can't, how can I get it,
from sysadmin?

> about whether a translation team (web-only, or broader) should
> be marked as part of the GNU project on the Savannah website,
> I suggest we ask the policy question to RMS.

I guess its policy on translation teams being GNU is clear,
as he decided to locate the teams' home pages under gnu.org.

> It is possible to create another group type called
> "www.gnu.org translation teams" with special creation rules,

That would be useful and would make things clearer for everyone.
Thus, we could have the web-only projects for special cases, as
you mentioned before, and web translations teams. The GLUGs
pages should be on nongnu.org, in my opinion.

> and it is also possible to create 2 projects for non-web-only
> translation teams (one for www.gnu.org, one for software).

Sorry, I don't understand that. Are you talking about the arabic
project? Then, I guess that only one project is needed, the one
for www.gnu.org translation. People who want to help translating
GNU software into other languages should ask the maintainer to
join the software project on savannah or ask how to proceed.

- --
Alex Muntada <address@hidden>
GNU Translation Manager
http://alexm.org/