Re: [Savannah-hackers] arabic project should be GNU web-only

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] arabic project should be GNU web-only
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:30:14 +0100

Hi,

A bit more work is needed. Here are my concerns:

- currently, when creating a GNU projects, I can trigger an automatic
  creation of www.gnu.org/software/projectname/. If one need another
  location, I have to ask Jim (the FSF sysadmin) to bind the webpages
  CVS repository to a given place at www.gnu.org. Web-only projects
  are currently a bit broken in that regard, I create them as GNU and
  switch them then to Web-only, and if needed ask Jim to change the
  location. So far, we had very few web-only projects, so there were
  no issue (except, now that I check, maybe the /gugve group, that
  should be located at nongnu.org instead of gnu.org IMHO). The
  official meaning of GNU-webonly projects is to provide only a way to
  update www.gnu.org/something, eg webpages of GNU projects whose
  development is not done at Savannah, or the GPL quiz webpages, among
  others.

  anyway, when I create a project for a translation team, whatever its
  project type, I don't know where to store them. The issue was not to
  decide whether projects had to get a separate account: they do need
  one, including a private CVS repository, mailing lists and a web
  account for their own needs. The problem is to know where to store
  their personnal web pages. Currently, they are scattered in
  /software/teamname and /teamname, AFAIR.

  Did you (the webmasters) decide where to host translation teams
  "coordination" personnal webpages?

- about whether a translation team (web-only, or broader) should be
  marked as part of the GNU project on the Savannah website, I suggest
  we ask the policy question to RMS. It is possible to create another
  group type called "www.gnu.org translation teams" with special
  creation rules, and it is also possible to create 2 projects for
  non-web-only translation teams (one for www.gnu.org, one for
  software).

  What do you think?

--