Re: [Savannah-help-public] coreutils is moving to distributed version co

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] coreutils is moving to distributed version control
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:33:32 +0200

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 01:30:51PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:08:10PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> >> Hello,
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply.

Sorry for the late reply this time, I had to travel a bit and then had
some hard work when coming back :)

> [FWIW, one can remove history with cvs (using admin -o), but I suppose
>  you know that, and have disabled the `feature' on savannah.  ]

Yes, we did.

> With git or hg, it'd be similar.  I'd develop using my own, local
> repository (including `pull'ing from other contributor trees), and
> occasionally `push'ing to the savannah repository.  I presume I'd be
> the only one with the right to push, just as is the case now (currently
> I rsync to a host from which a savannah cron job pulls the cvs repo).
>
> With git:
> Pushing requires ssh access.

Would a restricted (git-shell) access work as well? Or do you need
direct rsync write access? Since I think git-shell would work with all
project types (unlike direct rsync write access), I would favor
it. Similar to 'cvs server'.

> Anonymous read-only access is most efficient via the git-native protocol
> I.e., people would run `git clone git://remote.machine/path/to/repo.git/'
> Another way to provide read-only access is via http.
> For details, see the Repository Administration section here:
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

That documentation is much interesting. I'm indeed impressed by the
set of tools already available (personal or group (CVS-like)
repository, pserver emulator, client/server protocol, etc.)

> > Didn't you try GNU Arch btw?
> No.

Not trying it is not a very GNU attitude ;)
Development seems pretty much stalled anyway :/

> I do have preliminary notes, but am swamped now.
> If you ask again in a week or two, maybe I'll have something publishable.

Ok (release early... ;)).

You mentioned a lot of facts about git, but not on hg. Do you have
something to add about it?

Thanks for the info,

--
Sylvain