Re: [Savannah-help-public] coreutils is moving to distributed version co

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] coreutils is moving to distributed version control
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:56:01 +0200

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> rsync write access is good, at least initially.
>> Unless there's some other way for me to transfer the original
>> .git repository, and potentially, to overwrite it with a new
>> one as I experiment and (likely, as I learn) want to start fresh.
>
> After some thoughs, we cannot provide direct and complete rsync access
> with our current security model which is: no local access (and not
> custom hooks). Even CVS replication is made in such a way that CVSROOT
> is not overwritten.
>
> I'd rather work on setting git up so it can suit your needs as well as
> those of other users :)
>
> I need to implement a Savane interface to backup&reset any repository
> on project admin's demand - if you can help work on this, that'd be
> welcome =)
>

>> Wow.  Thank you.  You're a little too quick for me.
>> I haven't made the leap yet, but I have heard that there
>> tailor now supports mirroring *from* git and hg to other VC tools --
>> now, the table at http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor reflects
>> this recent change.
>
> Tailor sounds really cool. I need to investigate it to advice users
> with repository migrations :)

Hi Sylvain,

Here's a quick update on my git-conversion progress:
Until this weekend, I thought using git-cvsimport would be able to perform
the cvs->git repository conversion perfectly.  Then I discovered that it
has a fatal (for me) flaw.  It doesn't always handle files on branches,
and now that coreutils has a significant branch, I do care.  Here's the
start of the thread documenting the weakness:

    http://www.spinics.net/lists/git/msg05266.html

So now, I'm considering leaving branch development in cvs and moving
only trunk development to git (as usual, still requiring automatic
synchronization, both ways).  This will require some hooks and more
testing, so I don't expect to switch very soon.

Jim