[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106105] Problems with cvs commit

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106105] Problems with cvs commit
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 12:59:24 +0000

- Yes, there is a download area that is hosted at Savannah, and it's
different than the alpha.gnu.org/ftp.gnu.org. However, GNU projects tend not
to use it, because they don't really need it. I suggested using it because the
direct SFTP access makes it suitable for hosting temporary files, which would
be cumbersome at ftp.gnu.org because of the directives-based upload system.

- It should be possible to extract the snapshots individually - extracting
all the ~800 snapshots sounds a bit too much though. Maybe select a subset of
the snapshots you'd like to export. Note that you can do this if you want, by
grabbing the raw CVS file from
rsync://cvs.sv.gnu.org/sources/3dldf/3dldf/Group/SNAPSHOTS/ and extracting the
revisions as you want using 'co'.

- The CVS web interface is indeed misleading about binary files. I think most
free software revision control systems offer limited support for binary files.
In our case this is extremely inefficient because the 1.5GB file needs to be
entirely rewritten at each commit, which can explain why it is long ;)

To sum up I think it's best to move the snapshots outside of the repository,
and select a subset of snapshots you want to publish (the recent ones, one by
month?) - either do it yourself or I can script some export locally at
Savannah.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106105>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/