Re: [Savannah-help-public] Problem with ssh access to git

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Problem with ssh access to git
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:26:18 -0000

Sylvain, you wrote Friday, February 26, 2010 10:07 PM

I would suggest trying without relying on .ssh/config, and making sure
there's nothing weird in /etc/hosts.

You should see something like this:
$ git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /tmp/lilypond/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 189704
Receiving objects:   7% (20118/287391), 3.83 MiB | 716 KiB/s

OK, at 00:05 GMT on 27 Feb I tried
$ git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git

I saw
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/trevor/testgit/lilypond/.git/
then nothing more.  No prompt even.  The session is still
hanging 20 minutes later.  Rather strangely it doesn't time
out.  I'll do nothing else at this time so the log at your
end should be clearly related to this attempt.  Could you
check if this connection was made successfully?

Aside from that I can see connections from you as lately as Feb 25
23:59:38.

I think this might have been a
$ ssh -v address@hidden
command.  I tried that (with variations) two or three times
around that time.  They all successfully connected although
the session was immediately terminated of course.

What bandwidth do you have?

I have a broadband connection, circa 1 Mb/s.  Not as fast
as it should be as the wiring in my village is not very
good.  In case it's relevant I'm using ubuntu running in
a VM under VirtualBox within MS Vista Home Premium.  As
I said earlier, this set-up has worked fine before.

Sylvain

Thanks for helping - Trevor

------------ history below

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:00:46AM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Sylvain Beucler wrote Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:03 AM

>This works for me.

Yes, it seems to work for everyone else, but not for
me.

>I issued a 'git gc' just in case.

Tried that.  No change.

I've checked that the call set-up packet is getting
to and through my router, and I've tried using nc.
Still no luck.  I've now exhausted everything in the
SshAccess page and I've run out of ideas.  What else
can I try to diagnose this problem (described below)?

Trevor