Re: [Savannah-help-public] Problem with ssh access to git

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Problem with ssh access to git
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:28:56 -0000

Trevor Daniels wrote Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:31 AM

Sylvain, you wrote Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:12 AM

Is there also a problem with other repositories?
e.g.
 git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freedink.git

I tried this.  Interesting!  It got a little further.
Here's what I did.  First, at c. 09:00 I tried
$ git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
which produced just
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/trevor/testgit/lilypond/.git/
and hung.  I chopped the session at around 09:05 and tried
$ git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freedink.git
This installed several directories and files, with console output:
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/trevor/testgit/freedink/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 5272, done.
compressing objects:   8% (107/1329)

Sorry, I miscopied this line.  It should be

remote: Compressing objects:   8% (107/1329)

of course

I'm not familiar with git clone processing.  Does this
mean the download is complete?  Compressing sounds like
it is an activity on my system.  Hhm.  Disk space??
No, it's tight, but there is 1.5Gb free.

And this is clearly the wrong conclusion -
compressing is a remote activity, so the network
activity cannot be complete.

Looking more closely with strace suggests the hang
might be in git-index-pack.  That's the last
command issued within strace before the hang.

I'm on git version 1.6.3.3.  Is this recent enough?

Trevor