Re: [savannah-help-public] please adjust the groff-commit mailing list

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 17:22:14 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Some people want only the short commit notifications and others want
> > > the notification with the full commit diff in the email too.  Which
> > > would you prefer?
> >
> > The latter, please.  Commits are not so frequent that this would
> > overflow the list.

I should have said it isn't the number of messages but the size of an
individual message.  If you have an extremely large commit then it
will generate an extremely large email.  Sometimes so large that MTAs
fail to deliver them.  Size limits.  Transport timeouts.  Various.
Personally I still like to see the full commitdiff with the
understanding of the limitations.  It encourages more smaller commits
over the one large super huge commit.

> Done!  Of course I made the change blind by just copying in the
> config.  You should see something with the next commit.  Please let me
> know if it doesn't work right.  Or if you have anything else you want.

I should have also asked if you want me to disable commits to the
previous CVS repository?  That way any commits there will fail back
with a message letting someone know that they are pushing to the wrong
location?  It is a CVSROOT/commitinfo entry:

  ALL /usr/local/bin/commit_obsolete_notice %r/%p %s

To print out:

  echo "This repository is obsolete and marked read-only to prevent commits."
  echo "The sources have been moved to another repository."
  echo "Please see the package web pages and documentation for more
information."
  exit 1

Sorry for the too many exchanges.  I didn't think of everything all at
once.  I should update a wiki page with a checklist for these details.

Bob