Re: [savannah-help-public] please adjust the groff-commit mailing list

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 15:00:12 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > You asked about making the CVS frozen message include an explicit
> > url.  Anything can be done, but time is fleeting.  The issue is that
> > it's extra work to figure out what that url is.  savannah.gnu.org
> > vs. nongnu.org ...
>
> :-) Ideally, the message should be editable with the web interface,
> but Bob explained that the Savannah infrastructure system itself is
> orphaned (sort of), so please forget my request for now.

I had put it on the back burner because I wanted to research the
available format options.

> BTW, can the message be slightly refined to directly
> give the project's URL?

The CVS commitinfo has by default "%r/%p %s" but other options are
possible too.

  ALL /usr/local/bin/commit_obsolete_notice %r/%p %s

What are %r/%p %s?  What are the other possible set of format options?
I forget!  I need to go look at the CVS docs for it.  Is the
information needed to for a correct URL in those options?  These seem
to be the useful options of the available ones.

      The name of the directory being operated on within the repository.
      The name of the repository (the path portion of '$CVSROOT').
      a list of the names of files to be committed

So we can get the project name out of it.  But then as Karl mentioned
would need to map that into gnu versus nongnu.

Like Karl I think that anyone who was a project committer but then got
a message that the repository had moved on would be able to figure
things out from there.  How much trouble could it be for someone who
was a project committer to be able to find the project's home page?
Would a project committer really be unaware of a repository change?

I think most likely they would be fully aware but just accidentally
use an old working copy that they had forgotten to convert.  In which
case the simple message should be enough to tell them what happened
and clue them in to moving to the new repository.

Bob