[savannah-help-public] How to coordinate a VM reboot?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] How to coordinate a VM reboot?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:27:03 -0700

Savannah Hackers,

Everyone wants to reboot vcs.sv since it has been so long.  It has
been up 514 days.  I want to fsck the file system since it has been
three years since the last check!  Perhaps the reboot will help with
the performance problems.

The file system is 120G.  How long will an fsck of the 120G file
system take the VM to complete?  I don't know but could take more than
30 minutes.  Could take 60 minutes.  Could take 10 minutes.  Unknown
until it is done.  I will guess 20 minutes, possibly 40 minutes if the
system is slow.  Or maybe stated as 30 minutes +/- 10 minutes.

I now have console access and can monitor fsck progress which is a
very good thing if needed.  Can also monitor and debug the grub
problems previously seen too.  I was too scared to try this in the
blind without access since I already had one VM fail to boot and need
to be rescued.

If vcs.sv is offline for possibly 60 minutes that is a very long
time.  How should this be communicated to the users?  Ideas?  Should
we just steel ourselves and simply reboot it and fsck and then
apologize for any problem reports due to it?  Ideas?

Thanks,
Bob