Re: [savannah-help-public] How to coordinate a VM reboot?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] How to coordinate a VM reboot?
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 15:09:42 -0700

Hi Karl,

Karl Berry wrote:
>     If vcs.sv is offline for possibly 60 minutes that is a very long
>     time.  How should this be communicated to the users?
>
> Please choose a time convenient for you a couple days from now and we
> can post a news item.  Also email address@hidden and
> address@hidden  Christmas day, boxing day?  I think it is good
> to tell people in advance.

Your suggestion of Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, seems good to
me.  I will put together an announcement and send it out as you
suggest as soon as I can type one in after this message.

I will also ask the FSF admins to post something about it to their
status feed on https://pumprock.net/fsfstatus too.  It is an FSF admin
feed but I think they would add something there for us.

> Wdyt about rebooting download at the same time, to "parallelize" the
> potentially long fsck's?  Pros and cons ...

Yes!  If things go smoothly then let's roll through the cluster and
reboot and fsck the root file systems on all of them.  Good idea.

> download$ df -BG
> Filesystem         1073741824-blocks      Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/xvda2                      197G      150G       48G      77% /

Yes.  That is another big one.  Since it is on the same dom0 I don't
think it would be a good idea to do it at the exact same time.  I am
not sure what the number of mechanisms are on the disk farm but likely
each will individually saturate the bus.  In which case doing more at
one time in parallel will take the total as twice as long.  But if one
goes smoothly and with reasonable time then let's roll on to the next
and do it sequentially after it.

> download$ uptime
>  22:42:19 up 616 days, 18:17,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

That is a long time.  And of course it means that the kernel has not
been upgraded in that time either.  It will be very good to reset the
clock on everything.

Bob