Re: [savannah-help-public] Wrong encoding in commit messages sent to gro

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Wrong encoding in commit messages sent to groff-commit
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:50:29 +0100 (CET)

> The emacs elpa folks just requested to change their hook to the
> git-multimail mailer hook.

Very nice!

> I just installed it for them just a few days ago.  Look at their new
> commit diffs.
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-elpa-diffs/2014-01/threads.html

Uh, oh, on this page I immediately see mojibake:

  [ELPA-diffs] [elpa] 01/01: Start building eventu al package \
    ‘gnugo’., Thien-Thi Nguyen, 2014/01/28

This is a problem with mailman itself, AFAIK: It doesn't properly use
UTF-8 encoding for the `threads.html' pages, possibly converting
non-UTF-8 encodings in e-mail headers to UTF-8.  Maybe this has been
fixed meanwhile?  Or maybe it's a configuration thing that gnu.org
hasn't adjusted properly?

However, the corresponding e-mail page itself at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-elpa-diffs/2014-01/msg00085.html

*does* display correct quotes, so it seems that git-multimail works
better than the original hook.

> Would you like to give git-multimail a try?

Yes, please.  I'm rather sure that it can only get better :-)

    Werner