Re: [savannah-help-public] Can't recover password

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Can't recover password
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 19:53:31 -0700

Hello LRN,

LRN wrote:
> I've have a Savannah account which i haven't used in a while. I
> couldn't log in, so i've tried to do password recovery, but it didn't
> work. I've tried to register a new account, but the site told me that
> my user name is already taken.
>
> Logging in with "lrn" account:
> Account deleted
>
> Registering a new account with the name "lrn":
> That username already exists.
>
> Recovering password for "lrn":
> Invalid User: This account does not exist or has not been activated

The account was in the suspended state.  It was not a member of any
group.  Additionally it had a suspended state email address and name.
I don't know the history of why that account was suspended.  But it
was actively disabled and suspended.  Identifying information was
actively blanked out.

There are a number of bug reports associated with this user account.
Thanks for submitting those reports.  Good stuff.

Identity theft being what it is we are obligated to be careful.  The
problem is how can we know that you are you?  I think you understand
the problem.  I would hate to be the instrument that sullied the
reputation of the previous lrn user if I were to inadvertently allow
another to take the account over.  I don't have a pre-compiled script
for dealing with this problem.  If you want to suggest something and
it is acceptable that might be fine.  I am all ears.

The easiest thing and safest would be for us to rename the existing
account and allow you to register it again.  It would have a different
uid and therefore would be dissociated from the previous account.  I
see no problem with that action since the previous was actively wiped.

What action would you like me to take?  Rename so you can register it
again?

Bob

Savannah documentation references:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RenamingAccounts/