Re: [savannah-help-public] Can't recover password

From: LRN
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Can't recover password
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:23:04 +0400

On 09.03.2014 6:53, Bob Proulx wrote:
> LRN wrote:
>> I've have a Savannah account which i haven't used in a while. I
>> couldn't log in, so i've tried to do password recovery, but it
>> didn't work. I've tried to register a new account, but the site
>> told me that my user name is already taken.
>>
>> Logging in with "lrn" account: Account deleted
>>
>> Registering a new account with the name "lrn": That username
>> already exists.
>>
>> Recovering password for "lrn": Invalid User: This account does
>> not exist or has not been activated
>
> The account was in the suspended state.  It was not a member of
> any group.  Additionally it had a suspended state email address and
> name. I don't know the history of why that account was suspended.
> But it was actively disabled and suspended.  Identifying
> information was actively blanked out.
>
> There are a number of bug reports associated with this user
> account. Thanks for submitting those reports.  Good stuff.
>
> Identity theft being what it is we are obligated to be careful.
> The problem is how can we know that you are you?  I think you
> understand the problem.  I would hate to be the instrument that
> sullied the reputation of the previous lrn user if I were to
> inadvertently allow another to take the account over.  I don't have
> a pre-compiled script for dealing with this problem.  If you want
> to suggest something and it is acceptable that might be fine.  I am
> all ears.

Well, it's kind of flimsy, but you can ask Rocky Bernstein (user
"rocky" on e-mail server  "gnu.org") about a mail he sent me, with the
subject "libcdio bug #26808 - was that emailed directly or did
savannah do the email.", about the bug 26808 [1]. That'll confirm the
tie between this e-mail address and my savannah account (though you
probably don't need that confirmation, and it doesn't prove anything).
That's the earliest email mentioning savannah that i can find in my
mail archive.

Sadly, i wasn't using OpenPGP back then, in 2009, so there's no way to
confirm my identity from 2009. I did start to use it somewhere in
2012, but i've always used savannah bug tracker via web interface, and
so there is no intersection between my signed emails and bug comments
on savannah.

You can look up libcdio-devel threads [2] where i was using OpenPGP to
sign my emails, and check the signature on these emails and on this
one against my public key (attached), to confirm that lrn who emailed
to libcdio-devel in late 2012 and lrn who emails you now are one and
the same, and still using the same address.

If that doesn't convince you, i can always register under a new name,
or you can rename the old account and let me register under the old
name. I don't care if account id won't be matching - i rarely use
savannah, and i can't think of a reason why this would be required (to
close my bugs maybe? someone else can do that).

Savannah never identified me by anything other than my email (AFAIR),
and email messages are easy to snoop, so really, there's not much i
can do about verification. A control question would have been better
(difficult to  intercept, if it's sent over TLS, and i usually make up
tricky ones that can't be answered by googling up info about me), was
there one on my savannah account?

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?26808
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2012-09/msg00002.html

- --