Re: [savannah-help-public] Password rejected, advice contradicts documen

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Password rejected, advice contradicts documentation
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:29:05 -0700

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Ok I've got the briefing on mail list etiquette and I know to hit reply
> all :)

:-)

> Now, if the password used to access the 'web' directory for my project
> is my standard Savannah password,

It isn't.  It is your ssh rsa key encryption passphrase.

> then why doesn't it work when I try to CVS into Savannah via command
> line?

Unfortunately the problem is on your end and you will need to debug it
starting there. :-(

> Bob says that passwords are blocked from accessing the cvs but in
> the documentation it says to use the [standard] 'web' password:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HomepageUpload/

I read through that page carefully.  It does not mention passwords
anywhere on it.  What exactly are you referring to?

[[Meanwhile I see that it has some obsolete information on that page
too making it harder to use in the current day.  I am updating some
things now.]]

> So I should be able to use this:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/noob-a-tron co noob-a-tron

Yes.  I tested exactly that command (s/jeffnz/rwp/) and it worked okay
for me.

> If I'm not meant to use a password then why does it ask for one?

It doesn't know who you are until after you log in.  You might be an
administrator.  Admins are allowed to use passwords.  Non-admins are not.

> I've got my public key for ssh loaded into the ssh agent isn't that
> meant to authenticate me?

Yes. :-)

Looking at activity it looks like you have it working.  What is the
status of things now?

Bob