[Savannah-register-public] [task #5082] Submission of Hindawi Vernacular

From: Abhishek Choudhary
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5082] Submission of Hindawi Vernacular Programming System
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 06:43:49 +0530

Hello,

I shall update the license as suggested and submit fresh tarballs.

You have raised a few points in your last comment which imply that either I
have miscommunicated something or you have misunderstood me; either way, I
will provide the clarifications. However, you have not pointed out why you
*thought* of something or why something *seemed* to you, and have not
provided links or references for the basis of your thinking so.

You wrote:
> Nevertheless, seems like you are "forking" some projects

Could you specify what project(s) you think I might be forking off.

You wrote:
> Maybe it would be better to contact the original authors and
> provide your help directly there.
> What do you think?

 I am unaware of *any* other project which aims at producing compilers for
Indian languages. This has been a very difficult problem to solve, and even
big research institutes have been quite unsuccessful. I could have patented
Hindawi and made millions from it, but decided to make it free for the
benefit of millions of Indians for whom English is a hurdle in acquiring ICT
skills. I shall really benefit if you could provide me links or references to
projects / documents on whose basis it *seems* that I'm *forking* some
projects. My work has been awarded twice by the Computer Society of India
(Young IT Professional Award (E) 2004 and 2005). In 2005, I've been the
regional winner at CSI-YITPA. The judges at these competitions were big names
from academics and industry. The primary criteria for these awards was novelty
(unprecedented and original work). Hindawi has also been short-listed by TDIL,
Minitry of IT, Govt. of India

Link to TDIL, Govt. of India web-site where Hindawi is listed
http://tdil.mit.gov.in/asp_files/query13.asp?pub=Indicybers

Computer Society of India's web-site
http://csi-india.org (My membership number is 00056411)

More on the CSI Awards
http://www.csi-india.org/common.php?filename=award_data&parent=About%20CSI&child=Awards
http://www.csical.org/csiyitpa.html

CSI Announces the 2004 awards , 2005 awards will be announced soon
www.csi-india.org/chapter_news/CSICNewsJan05.pdf

You wrote:
> we are now not sure if this " ''complete'' suite of open-
> source programming languages for Indian" could be usefull for > other
people.

Before I reply to this point I would like to point out certain projects
hosted by Savannah

iMail, A Mailing Progam for the Indian Languages (useful only for people who
can read and write Indian languages)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/imail

DBF support libraries for Indian languages (useful only for people who can
read and write Indian languages)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/vl2-libs/

Gargi unicode font for Devnagari (Hindi, Sanskrit, Konkani etc. all are
Indian languages)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gargi/

Hindi font project (again Hindi, Sanskrit, Konkani etc. all are Indian
languages)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontdudes/

Free Bangla Fonts (Applies only to people who can read and write Bangla)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/freebangfont/

Screen quality Bangla font
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sqbf/

GNOME Translation Project (Applies only to people who can read and write
Tamil)
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnome-tamil

Could you tell me what do refer to by ending with the phrase *for Indian*. Do
you mean "Indian languages" or "Indian people"? Either way, could you give me
references for Savannah documents which emphasize what you have mentioned. As
about the above list, most of the projects there are more restricted in
demographic or geographic area of applicability. I find that Savannah is
hosting a mail client for Indian languages and a project for data-migration
of electoral lists in Indian languages.

Finally, as about Hindawi being *complete* - well, I say *complete* because I
have *implemented* or *originally* (*not* forked) localised even *lex* and
*yacc*. So we can now have *any* programming language written in Indian
languages (Hindi, Bangla, Gujrati, Tamil, Kannada, etc.) This method can also
be extended to *every* other human language, but my *personal* focus is on the
India languages *for now*.

Hope I have cleared certain miscommunications.

Regards,
Abhishek Choudhary

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5082>

  Message sent via/by Savannah