Re: [Savannah-users] GNU software on non-GNU package?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] GNU software on non-GNU package?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:06:51 +0900

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
> 1) in principle I suppose it is not out of question for gnu packages to
> depend on a common nongnu but free package.  But the first question
> would be, why not make the common package gnu as well?

Isn't there some sort of idea that GNU should limit the number of
"official" packages, avoiding too many redundancies...?

So I can imagine a situation where a package which might be desirable
for GNU depends on a non-GNU package that isn't desirable because it
duplicates the functionality of some pre-existing GNU package (but is
otherwise unobjectionable).  So as a dependency it's not a huge
problem, but maybe wouldn't be a prime candidate for GNU itself...

[Such a dependency might in some sense be a slight negative, but even
GNU can be practical -- if every GNU package that used an extension
language were required to use Guile, GNU would have noticeably fewer
packages, I think!  :]

-Miles

--
「寒いね」と話しかければ「寒いね」と答える人のいるあったかさ [俵万智]