Re: [Savannah-users] what are the usefulness criteria for submitted code

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] what are the usefulness criteria for submitted code?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:11:03 -0700

Hi John,

I am the administrator of one of the Savannah packages, and not a
Savannah administrator. My opinion is only worth as much as any other
user's.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM, john smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am not at all against discussing my submission, which is linked upthread,
> but for now I want to concentrate on one a single aspect of it, and it's
> not the code. In my view, and by the admission of the reviewer,
> https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14370 is an example of a submission being
> held up and not accepted based solely on personal and subjective opinions
> of the reviewer. With my inquiry here I am only trying to figure out
> whether Savannah project demands, allows, or abides by
> filtering/censoring/rejecting projects based solely on subjective opinions
> of its members (Savannah hackers). If yes, what is the goal for such
> practice? If no, does the Savannah project expressly forbid such practice
> internally?

The minimum criteria for a project to be accepted is listed here, and
it appears your project might meet them:
http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

Criteria to become GNU Software are much more stringent, though
technically a set of free scripts (if documented) appear to meet the
criteria:
http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html

The servers that run the Savannah hosting are run by volunteers and
paid for by donations. It's impossible for Savannah to host every
project, so I can see why the Savannah hackers would want to apply
some subjective criteria to help focus the limited resources.

Your options at this point are either to wait for another Savannah
hacker to agree with you and overrule ineiev, or to make improvements
to your code to make it more general-purpose and applicable to a wider
audience.

Jan