screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen wind

From: Ethan Mallove
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen window
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:01:24 -0500

On Wed, Mar/18/2009 01:39:03PM, Micah Cowan wrote:

> Ethan Mallove wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The below command causes my Screen window to close:
> >
> >   $ touch a b c && ls -1 a b c | xargs vim
> >   Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
> >   [then Screen window closes!]
>
> FWIW, I can't produce this with Ubuntu's version of screen 4.0.3jw4 and
> vim 7.1. However, after exiting vim, the terminal window is left in a
> strange state (CR is no longer echoed locally, at least).
>
> Is it only the screen window that closes, or the whole session?

Just one Screen window closes. The whole session survives.

> That is, if you had multiple windows in screen (created via C-a c or
> similar), do you then switch to a different screen window, or does
> the entire session end and drop you to the parent shell?

The one Screen window closes, and I'm returned to the last Screen
window I was working in.

> What happens when you try this with "zombie qr" in your ~/.screenrc?

Same thing.

  === Window terminated (Thu Mar 19 11:59:49 2009) ===

Then this appears in the Screen status line:

  Press q to destroy or r to resurrect window

> Also, what shell are you using, and is it the same in screen as it is
> outside of it (do you have "shell" or "screen" commands in your
> ~/.screenrc)?

TCSH inside and outside of Screen. No "shell" or "screen" commmands in
my ~/.screenrc.

-Ethan