screen-devel

[screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen window

From: Ethan Mallove
Subject: [screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen window
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:27:27 -0500

Hello,

The below command causes my Screen window to close:

  $ touch a b c && ls -1 a b c | xargs vim
  Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
  [then Screen window closes!]

There is no problem if I do the above outside of Screen (e.g., my
terminal window does not exit). And if I take xargs out of the
equation my Screen window does not close, e.g., this works fine:

  $ vim a b c

I'm not sure if this is a VIM, GNU Screen, and/or xargs issue (or
combination of one or more programs). It mostly affects my usage of
Screen, so I posted to this Screen list.

  $ screen --version
  Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06
  $ uname -a
  SunOS ... 5.10 Generic_127111-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
  $ vim --version
  VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2

Regards,
Ethan