screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen wind

From: Ethan Mallove
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Terminal VIM run from xargs closes my GNU Screen window
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:29:58 -0500

On Thu, Mar/19/2009 12:54:04PM, Micah Cowan wrote:

> Micah Cowan wrote:
> > Ethan Mallove wrote:

> >> FWIW, I can't produce this with Ubuntu's version of screen 4.0.3jw4 and
> >> vim 7.1. However, after exiting vim, the terminal window is left in a
> >> strange state (CR is no longer echoed locally, at least).
> >
> >> Is it only the screen window that closes, or the whole session?

> > This pretty much guarantees that it's not (directly) a screen problem,
> > then. Since both vim and the shell are brought down (the window wouldn't
> > close unless the shell had exited), this may indicate a bug in the
> > shell's piping code, maybe?
> >
> > The fact remains that this only happens within screen. What happens:
> >   (a) if you export TERM=screen while NOT running within screen, and
> > attempt that command.

No problem outside of Screen with either setting.

  $ echo $TERM
  xterm-color
  $ touch a b c && ls -1 a b c | xargs vim
  Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
  3 files to edit

  $ setenv TERM screen
  $ touch a b c && ls -1 a b c | xargs vim
  Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
  3 files to edit
  $ echo $status
  0

> >   (b) if you export TERM=(whatever's normal for your terminal outside
> > screen) while running _inside_ screen, and attempt that command.
> > ?

What should I set TERM to here?  I tried setting TERM to "screen" and
"xterm-color".  Same problem with both.

> It'd also be very useful to know what exit statuses were returned by
> both vim and tcsh, but I'm not sure of the best way to get at those.

I don't know how I could check this since the Screen window is closing
before I get a chance to do "echo $status".

> Your tcsh doesn't happen to provide an xargs as a builtin by any chance,
> does it?

No. I am not sure what version of xargs it is either. It is part of
the SUNWcsu (Core Solaris) package on my Solaris 10 system.

-Ethan