screen-devel

[screen-devel] gnu screen horizontal split extras patch

From: Jim Mahood
Subject: [screen-devel] gnu screen horizontal split extras patch
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:27:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list, I sent this patch to Sadrul directly a little while back, but didn't hear anything back, so I figured I'd send to the list for feedback and hopefully acceptance. Note: the somewhat confusingly-named "horizontal" splits in screen refer to splitting a window into horizontally-adjacent windows, which I'm used to referring to as *vertical* splits, and I don't think I'm alone on that one. :)

Please accept the attached patch that adds the following:

Horizontal split extras

* Adds screen.exe to src/.gitignore
* Adds hsplitchar and hsplitcolor commands & processing
* Adds application of hsplitchar and hsplitcolor to drawing of horizontal
  split separator
* Adds documentation to doc/screen.1 and doc/screen.texinfo
* Adds example to etc/screenrc

Rather than use the defaults of a space character and the standout rendition when drawing the vertical separator between horizontally-split windows, these commands allow the user to customize its appearance.

It still preserves the default values prior to this patch, and the only regression I see is that if a user does change sorendition for the purpose of controlling the vertical bar's attributes/color, those will no longer be applied to that bar. I don't see a simple solution to this issue, but maybe you do. The remedy for such a user is to use the hsplitcolor command instead of, or in addition to, sorendition (or rendition so).

- Jim